When it gets to July, it seems like everyone I know is planning a European holiday… And what’s number one in their list? The Greek islands, of course! Talk about non-stop partying, the good life & the misbehaving celebrities and Mykonos is their top choice! But don’t worry… Mykonos is not only for the party goers; it’s an island that also offers gourmet food, beach activities, and romantic holidays! Mykonos town is actually so tiny, it’s so small that it can easily be explored in a day or two! The list of things to see and do are plenty… But if you’re short on time, here are 5 must-dos during your vacation!
1. SUNBATHE AT ELIA BEACH. Visit this beach by riding a local bus from downtown. You’ll be welcomed by soft jazz music playing during the day that changes and amps up a bit later in the afternoon. The turquoise, clean water is your view as you chill in your sunbed! Caribbean vibe it is! This gorgeous beach is known as the gay beach but that isn’t the case… families with children are very common. Although, there’s a secluded nude beach that you can walk to through the hill to the left of the bus stop! If that’s your scene, it’s your lucky day!
2. VISIT LITTLE VENICE. Even if you have never been on the island, there’s a good chance you’ve already heard of Little Venice before! Over the centuries, wealthy merchants built their homes on the Mykonos shoreline paying tribute to the Italian city-Venice! Many of those homes are now turned to Greek restaurants, quaint cafes, pulsating clubs and well-stocked bars! During daytime, the streets clear out, and travellers can explore the gorgeous cobbled roads on foot! You may enjoy a peaceful cup of espresso in the morning, brunch at noon, a cocktail in the evening, and of course lots of drinks at night! It is considered one of the most romantic spots on the island so be warned as it gets crazy busy at sunset! As the sun goes down, the sky shows off some brilliant colours of orange & pinks that makes a very picturesque oceanfront!
3. BEACH HOPPING BOAT TOUR TO PARADISE & SUPER PARADISE BEACH. Whether you come in by sea, ride the bus, hire a car or however you want to.. know that it’s going to be a party! By day, the beaches are water sports hot spots where you can try windsurfing or water-skiing! Come late afternoon and the notorious parties begin! Bars on the beach play loud, thumping music constantly while the crowd dance on tables sipping on their expensive cocktails! But if this is not for you… it’s totally fine too! You can get a massage with a sea view or enjoy your meal in your sunbed! Unfortunately, this luxury comes with a ridiculous fee! 1st row 50 euros, 2nd row 40 euros, 3rd row 30 euros.. Forgot to bring your towel? That’s extra 10 euros! (Yes, I wrote that correctly!)
4. SEEK OUT FOR THE WINDMILLS. In Mykonos, the wind blows all year-long! And that’s probably the reason why its windmills have become the signature island sight! Capped with wood and straw, standing gobsmacked at the top of the hill, they’re hard to miss! In fact, they’re within walking distance from just about anywhere in town! Just imagine the pristine white buildings, winding alleyways and tiny churches set against the bluest sky and bluest sea that you could see from here! Oh heavenly!
5. EXPLORE MYKONOS TOWN. If you want to see picture perfect and postcard images laid out in front of you, go and explore the cobblestone streets of Mykonos town! The bars, taverns, boutiques, churches and cafeterias are all a pleasure to the eye! Each little corner is a photo opportunity waiting to be discovered! While you’re here, lose yourself in the labyrinth of backstreets and don’t miss the opportunity to treat yourself into some local specialties! Greek iced coffee and gyros for the win! You’re also considered lucky if you spot Petros the Pelican, the island’s mascot! In my case, I found him in Little Venice at 5pm just before sunset! Hope you see him too!
My stay in Mykonos was quite short but I have a lifetime of memories that I took home with me! It doesn’t matter if it’s your first, third or fiftieth time on the island, I’m almost certain you’ll have the best time. Hope to hear about your Mykonos travel experience soon fam!
Also, don’t forget to follow me on Instagram for more travel updates!
Love from Mykonos,
The Travel Belle