Are you ready to get to the top of Oahu’s most iconic hike? YES, or YES? Let me then take you to a walk-through of the hike from start to finish! (Ahem, you’re Welcome, fam!)
You’ll start off with a pathway that will lead you to a field of grass!
Handrails everywhere. Expect rocky and dusty trails all the way up!
Hang out at the first crater viewpoint before the first set of steps!
There are 74 steps that lead to a tunnel. The 225 feet long tunnel is quite dim and sorry if you’re claustrophobic, this could be a deal breaker for you darling! There’s no other way up!
The trail is very well marked, there’s no way you’ll get lost! And… NO SMOKING, of course!
At the end of the tunnel, to your right is another set of 99 steps! This is where you’ll feel the burn!
A vintage staircase awaits you that will lead you to a pillbox!
Few last steps before you reach the very top!
Hello Diamond Head crater! This is a tourist hot spot so be prepared to share the hike with others! Visitors stop every 5 minutes to take selfies and that could be annoying to some, but I couldn’t care less! The earlier you get on the trail the less traffic there will be!
Views at the top are gorgeous! Crater on one side and downtown Waikiki on the other!
Just a few more tips before I let you go:
1. Entrance fee is $1/person. Cash only!
2. Get up early and do it! Open 365 days a year from 6am to 6pm.
3. You could do this on your own without a tour, don’t waste your money!
4. Stay hydrated: carry plenty of water! it’s a constant uphill walk and can get very humid!
5. Leave your flipflops at home. Appropriate footwear is advised!
6. Bring a flashlight if you’re afraid of the dark, some ceilings are low, it’s dim in the tunnels, some people have had panic attacks!
7. Allow 1-1.5 hours for a return! (Generous photo ops time included!)
8. Take it slow, there are lots of resting points!
9. Just when it starts to get tiring and challenging, you’ve already finished the climb up!
10. Stop and enjoy the incredible views at the top before making the long trek down!
Hope you find this helpful! Happy hiking and safe travels fam!
The Travel Belle <3
You may also love more of my Hawaii Blogs:
10 Hawaiian Foods every traveller should try
Cagediving with Sharks
Lanikai Beach & Pillbox Hike Day trip
Koko Head Crater: Brutal but worth it!
SKYDIVING? 10 ESSENTIAL TIPS FOR FIRST TIME JUMPERS!
Skydiving in Hawaii